Much have been presented and said about Diabetes, one thing is for sure, that this chronic disease affects millions of people around the globe, and even here in the Philippines.
It is always important to understand diabetes in order to manage it effectively.
What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a life-long disease that happens when your body does not make enough insulin, makes no insulin at all or doesn’t respond to insulin properly.
To further understand diabetes, you need to know what insulin is and why your body needs it.
How does it happen?
Hormones, sugar and your cells
- When you eat, some for your food is broken down into sugar
- Sugar enters your blood
- Then it travels in your blood to be used up by your body’s cells
- Your body needs sugar for energy
- Insulin is a hormone made by the beta cells in your pancreas
- Insulin acts like a key to enable the sugar to get inside the cell to provide energy
- When the sugar moves into the cells from the blood, the amount of sugar in the blood goes down
- When you eat, another hormone made in the gut called glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) helps your pancreas to release the right amount of insulin to move sugar from blood into your cells